Fed grand jury indicts Youngstown men on drug charges that resulted in death


CLEVELAND — A federal grand jury has returned a 100-count indictment charging five Youngstown men with distributing heroin and crack cocaine, with a specification concerning a fatal overdose last year, the U.S. Attorney and FBI said.

The indictment includes a sentencing enhancement charging that one of the defendants, Shayne Mascarella, 22, supplied the heroin that caused the July 19, 2015, death of someone in Youngstown.

Besides Mascarella, those indicted are: William Williams, 33; Derrick Brown, 35; Tyrell Hollis, 22, and Emmanuel Bunkley, 35.

“This group spread misery throughout the Mahoning Valley in the name of profit,” U.S. Attorney Steven M. Dettelbach said. “They destroyed families. ... We will continue to do all we can to curtail Ohio’s opioid epidemic, including vigorous criminal prosecutions,” he added.

“These individuals are responsible for bringing large quantities of illegal and deadly drugs to the streets of Youngstown,” said Steven D. Anthony, the agent in charge of the Cleveland FBI office. “The collaborative effort between law enforcement agencies throughout this two-year investigation has been exceptional, and we will continue to work together to make our cities safer,” he added.

For the complete story, read Saturday's Vindicator and Vindy.com