HAPPY 90TH BIRTHDAY | Alice Raful Lev
HAPPY 90TH BIRTHDAY
Alice Raful Lev
• Residence: Youngstown
• Date of birth: Dec. 22, 1925, in Akron, Ohio
• Parents: Joe and Molly Raful
• Siblings: Bob Raful and Carol Tager
• Spouse: Irv Lev. They were married in 1945.
• Children: Steve and Roz Lev of Atlanta and Doug Lev of Youngstown
• Grandchildren: Four
• Great-grandchildren: Six
• Education: She is a 1943 graduate of Boardman High School. She graduated from Youngstown State University and earned a master’s degree in social work from the University of Pittsburgh.
• Employment: Associate director of the Youngstown Fair Housing Committee and co-founder and executive director of Youngstown Area Development Corp.
• Synagogue membership: Congregation Rodef Shalom in Youngstown.
• Memberships: U.S. Civil Rights Commission Advisory Board, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Board, Jewish Community Relations Council, Urban League, National Organization for Women and the Ohio and Youngstown Peace Councils, and many other community organizations.
• Other information/lifestyle: She was inducted into the Ohio Woman’s Hall of Fame in 1988, and was noted for her commitment to social justice to benefit disadvantaged people, women and minorities on national, state and local levels. She helped author and secure passage of Youngstown’s Fair Housing Law and served with the Ohio Fair Housing association to secure a state fair housing law. Her work focused on developing low income subsidized housing throughout Ohio, especially for individuals with mental illness.
• Type: The occasion was marked with a private celebration.