Ebola nurse, boyfriend plan to leave town
Ebola nurse, boyfriend plan to leave town
FORT KENT, Maine
A nurse who successfully fought an Ebola quarantine order is planning to leave a Maine town with her boyfriend and may leave Maine.
Ted Wilbur says he and girlfriend Kaci Hickox will leave Fort Kent sometime after Monday, the last day of the disease’s 21-day incubation period.
Wilbur withdrew Friday from the University of Maine campus in Fort Kent, where he was a senior nursing student. Hickox said they were exploring the idea of relocating and looking at a new college — and said it would probably be outside Maine.
US airstrikes target IS leaders in Iraq
BAGHDAD
The U.S.-led coalition conducted a series of airstrikes targeting a gathering of Islamic State leaders near the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, a senior U.S. defense official said Saturday.
The airstrikes Friday night destroyed a convoy consisting of 10 Islamic State armed trucks, said the defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity. He confirmed that coalition aircraft conducted a series of airstrikes “against what was assessed to be a gathering of ISIL leaders near Mosul,” using another acronym for the Islamic State group.
Meanwhile on Saturday, a series of bombings in and around the capital of Baghdad killed at least 43 people.
Nissan recalls 52K vehicles over air bags
NEW YORK
Nissan announced Saturday that it is recalling more than 52,000 vehicles for passenger air bags that can explode with too much force and send shards of metal into the passenger compartment.
The vehicles have air-bag systems made by troubled Japanese supplier Takata Corp. The Nissan recalls are among nearly 8 million others made by 10 automakers, mainly in Southern high-humidity states, over the Takata air bags.
The recall affects the Infiniti FX35 and FX45 from 2003 to 2005, Infiniti I35 from 2003 and 2004 and Infiniti M35 and M45 from 2006. Also affected are Nissan Pathfinders from 2003 and 2004 and Nissan Sentras from 2004 to 2006.
US: Iran nuke deal not linked to issues
BEIJING
The top U.S. diplomat described “real gaps” Saturday in waning negotiations to limit Iran’s nuclear program, but steadfastly denied that any deal struck also would bring a promise of stronger cooperation between Washington and Tehran on fighting Islamic militants.
Despite the urgency to end years of negotiations by a looming Nov. 24 deadline, Secretary of State John Kerry said that there was no linkage between the nuclear talks and even an indirect U.S.-Iran partnership to combat the Islamic State group that has ravaged much of Iraq and Syria.
He was referring to reports last week, which first surfaced in The Wall Street Journal, describing a recent letter from President Barack Obama to Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei suggesting a shared interest in fighting IS — but which would be largely contingent on Tehran agreeing to the nuclear deal.
Associated Press
43
