NILES City to give statement about fire response

The report will not be released until the end of this week or early next week.
NILES -- City officials are expected to release a statement tonight about the investigation into whether city firefighters acted properly in a recent fire.
Tom Telego, the city's emergency management coordinator, said that an initial statement about the investigation will be released at tonight's council meeting, but the release of the final report may not come until late this week or early next.
Who's investigating
Telego leads the investigative team, which also includes Mayor Ralph A. Infante, Safety Director Maurice Guarino and Fire Chief Charles Semple.
Telego said he could not comment on the investigation, which is ongoing, but did say that gathering all of the facts was more complicated than investigators had originally thought.
The investigation, which was prompted by city officials, stems from concerns over whether firefighters properly followed procedure and city policy. According to reports, the Ohio State Highway Patrol in Southington received a 911 emergency call from a cell phone. Dispatchers there transferred the call to the city fire department, who arrived at 2782 Robbins Ave. shortly after 1:10 p.m. Thursday.
All 911 calls from cellular phones are automatically dispatched to the state patrol, who then transfers them to the appropriate agencies.
Fire officials, however, determined the structure was not in the city limits, but rather in McKinley Heights, which is in Weathersfield Township. About four blocks of Robbins Avenue lie just outside the city's west side limits and Youngstown-Warren Road (U.S. Route 422).
Contacted Weathersfield
Once firefighters determined no one was trapped in the home, they contacted Weathersfield's volunteer fire department to handle the blaze.
Weathersfield fire officials could not be reached to comment on what time their firefighters were dispatched. Niles' logs indicate they called for township crews within minutes of determining the property was in McKinley Heights. Weathersfield crews were on the scene by 1:30.
Weathersfield crews were able to contain the fire to a bedroom and a portion of the attic. One Weathersfield firefighter suffered minor injuries while battling the blaze, but was released from a local hospital the same day, reports show.
Telego said investigators are gathering facts and information from all agencies involved, including the township and city fire departments and the state patrol.
Five people who were living in the rented home were able to get out when the fire broke out, but are now staying in a hotel. The Trumbull County Red Cross is helping the family find new housing.