PENNSYLVANIA Farrell gets fifth win over Union

The Steelers rushed for 339 yards in the 52-7 victory.
UNION TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- The Odem/Claiborne family combined for almost 300 yards rushing Friday as Farrell (5-2, 4-1) stayed in contention for the Big Seven Conference title with a 52-7 victory over Union (2-5, 1-4).
Brothers Justin and Quentin Odem each scored two touchdowns and cousin Allan Claiborne picked up three scores. Allan led all rushers with 114 yards on 10 carries, Justin had seven carries for 111 yards and Quentin added 59 yards on six carries.
The Steelers finished the game with 339 yards rushing for their entire offensive output. Farrell coach Lou Falconi said the most difficult job he had, once his running game got going, was making sure the three cousins got enough carries.
Scotties score first: The score notwithstanding, Union used a more balanced offense to control the contest during the first quarter. Bob Bondi, the Scotties' sophomore quarterback, was 5-for-5 -- his only completions of the game -- in a 14-play, 64-yard scoring drive.
Among those completions was a clutch 12-yard pass on 4th-and-12 at the Farrell 15.
James Gunn, who led Union in rushing with 54 yards, finished the march with a 1-yard flying leap. Bondi kicked the conversion to give Union its only lead of the night.
Union's next possession, which came after a Farrell punt, lasted all of one play. Bondi and Gunn fumbled a handoff and the Steelers' Dan Wiley recovered to set up a Claiborne's first touchdown two plays later.
The extra point failed. Union still had the lead, but not the momentum, said Scotties' coach Stacy Robinson.
"We got beat, but we contributed a lot to that," he said. "After the fumble, we didn't play as hard, we didn't execute."
After the score, Farrell forced Union to punt. Shawn Cartwright, who had an otherwise solid night punting, got off a 2-yard kick, giving the Steelers possession at the Union 49.
It didn't take long for Farrell to take over the lead, as Quentin Odem darted around left end and outsprinted the Union defense to the end zone. Claiborne added another touchdown, giving Farrell a 20-7 halftime advantage.
Second half woes: In the second half, everything fell apart for Union, which fumbled eight times and lost three. Four of those fumbles happened the first five times the Scotties touched the ball after halftime.
Union lost two of those fumbles, resulting in two more scores on long runs by Claiborne and Justin Odem.
In less than half a quarter, a game that could have been close, turned into a blowout. The mercy rule went into effect at the 3:54 mark of the third quarter after Justin Odem's second touchdown of the period.
"All of a sudden, the wheels came off," said Robinson. "When Farrell smells blood, they come get you. They know how to finish a team once they get on top."
Farrell only ran 12 offensive plays in the second half. Five of them were touchdowns. Dustin Pinkins closed out the scoring with a 15-yard run, one play after an 85-yard interception return by Teedray Craig.