Wednesday, December 16, 2009
• Col. Louis J. Campbell VFW Post 3538, 157 Lowellville Road, Struthers, will serve a spaghetti dinner from 4 to 7 p.m. Meals will include meatballs, salad, bread and butter, and coffee. Cost is $6 for adults and $3 for children under 8. Carryout orders are $6.50 and will be available only until 6 p.m. Containers will be provided.
• Holy Trinity Church, 250 Bridge St., Struthers, will sell potato, cabbage and lekvar pirogi. Orders will be taken from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday and from 8:30 to 11 a.m. Friday at (330) 755-0064. No walk-in orders will be accepted. Orders may be picked up from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Friday. Containers will be provided.
• Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church will serve fish dinners from 3:30 to 7 p.m. at the church hall, 53 Laird Ave., Youngstown. The menu will consist of baked or fried Icelandic cod or fried haddock; sides of Spanish rice, haluski, macaroni and cheese, french fries or string beans (choose two); coleslaw or applesauce; bread and butter; and coffee or tea. The cost is $9 for adults and $4.50 for children. Dessert will be an additional $1.50. Containers will be provided for takeouts. Orders will be accepted from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at (330) 792-1005.
• Holy Trinity Ukrainian Catholic Church Hall, 526 W. Rayen Ave., Youngstown, will be selling potato and potato with kraut pirogi for $5 a dozen. Orders should be placed from 8:30 to 11 a.m. Thursday and Friday at (330) 746-9528 and are to be picked up between 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Friday. Advance sales only. No lunches will be served. Dec. 18 will be the last day for sales before Christmas.
• St. Anne Ukrainian Catholic Church, 4310 Kirk Road, Austintown, will sell potato and cheese pirogi. To order, call (330) 799-0084 after 6 p.m. Thursday, or after 8 a.m. Friday. Pickup will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday. Cost is $5 per bag of one dozen (no containers necessary). Walk-ins are welcome. Patrons are asked to use the side entrance.
• St. Anthony Church, 1125 Turin Ave., Youngstown, will be selling pizza and other Italian treats. Orders may be placed by calling (330) 746-9577 from 6:30 to 10:30 a.m. and must be picked up by 1 p.m.
• Potato, prune and kraut pirogi will be sold at St. Joseph the Provider Church, 633 Porter Ave., Campbell. Cost is $4.50 a dozen. Phone orders may be made beginning at 8 a.m. at (330) 755-1316, and orders can be picked up beginning at noon. Patrons are asked to provide their own containers. No walk-in orders will be available. Frozen pirogi will be sold while supplies last. This is the last sale of the season.
• St. Paul the Apostle Church, Main Street, New Middletown, will sell potato, sweet cabbage and cottage cheese pirogi. Orders can be called to (330) 542-3525 from 7 to 11 a.m. Thursday and Friday. No walk-in orders will be accepted. Pickup will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday. This is the last sale before Christmas. Sales will resume Jan. 8.
• St. Stanislaus Church, 430 Williamson Ave., Youngstown, will sell potato, kraut and cottage cheese pirogi. The cost is $5 a dozen. Advance orders will be taken at (330) 747-3024 from 8:30 to 11 a.m. Thursday and 8 to 11 Friday, based upon availability. Lunches will be served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday. Patrons are asked to provide their own containers and use the side entrance. No lunches will be served and no walk-in orders will be accepted. Only advance orders will be filled, and no hot pirogi will be available. This is the last sale until the new year.
• Campbell “O” Club will sponsor a St. Nicholas Bake Shop and more from noon to 2 p.m. at St. John’s Orthodox Church, 301 Struthers-Liberty Road, Campbell. Items for sale: apricot, cheese, lekvar, nut and poppyseed kolachi at $8 each; frozen, unbaked strudel at $8 each; pogachi (potato and cheese) at $6 each; cookie trays at $10 for small or $10 for large; assorted cookies at $4.50 per dozen; frozen, uncooked stuffed cabbage at $15 per dozen; wedding and Christmas eve mushroom/sauerkraut soup at $6 per quart.
• Deerfield American Legion, 1517 state Route 14, will serve a breakfast from 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday at the post home. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for children, and the menu consists of pancakes, sausage, eggs, sausage gravy over biscuits and a beverage. Proceeds will benefit the American Legion scholarship fund.
• Vienna Presbyterian Church, 4295 Warren Sharon Road, Vienna, will have take out only meals of stuffed chicken breast, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, salad and dessert. The cost is $7 for adults and $4 for children.
• Capt. Charles M. Marino Post 3, Italian-American War Veterans, 113 S. Meridian Road, Youngstown, will serve spaghetti dinners from noon to 5 p.m. The cost is $6 for adults and $3.50 for children 6 to 10. Those under 6 eat free. Carryouts will be available; containers can be purchased or patrons may provide their own.
• Fowler Volunteer Fire Department will hold its monthly pancake, sausage, egg and fruit cup breakfast from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the fire station, state Route 193, Fowler. Prices are $6 for adults, $4 for senior citizens and children 6 to 12, and free for preschoolers.
• Roast beef dinners will be served from noon to 2 p.m. at Kinsman Presbyterian Church, 6383 Church St., by the Men’s Club. Tickets are $7 for adults and $4 for children under 12, and will be available at the door. For more details call the church at (330) 876-4485.
• The Ladies Auxiliary of VFW Triangle Post 2799, 3161 E. South Range Road, New Springfield, will serve homestyle breakfasts with Santa from 8 a.m. to noon. Meals include eggs, sausage or ham, hash browns, pancakes, freedom toast, toast, and coffee or tea Meals are $5 for adults and $3 for children under 12.
• Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church, 626 Wick Ave., will have a holiday nut or poppyseed kolachi sale until Christmas. The cost is $9 each. Call (330) 792-1115 to place an order and schedule pickup time.
• Mended Hearts Support Group will have a holiday nut sale today through Dec. 21 at St. Elizabeth Health Center and in front of the cafeteria at the Jewish Community Center. Cashews and mixed nuts are $8 a pound bag, and trail mix is $5 a pound bag. For more information contact Harold Hake, (330) 542-0909.
• St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 159 Reed Ave., Campbell, will sell homemade haluski Friday. Call in orders Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and pick up on Friday from 10 a.m. to noon in the church hall. The donation is $5 a quart. (330) 755-0036 or (330) 755-4141.
• North Lima Mennonite Church, 90 Mennonite Drive, will sponsor a breakfast buffet from 7 to 10 a.m. Dec. 26. The all-you-can-eat meal will feature eggs, pancakes, french toast, potatoes, sausage, breakfast rolls, sausage gravy and biscuits, peppers and onions, juice and coffee. A donation will be accepted. For more information, call (330) 549-2333.
• A listing of food sales and dinners is published Wednesday. Please submit information for takeout and sit-down dinners to the Society Department before 5 p.m. Monday.