Wednesday, December 17, 2008
• American Legion Post 290, state Route 14, Columbiana, kitchen is open to the public from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Among the daily specials are: today, wings from 6 to 9 p.m.; and Friday, an all-you-can-eat fish fry from 4 to 7 p.m., meals include macaroni and cheese, coleslaw, fries, dessert, and coffee or tea, cost is $9 for adults and $4 for children 12 and under, and takeouts are available. For more information, call (330) 482-9657.
• Holy Trinity Church, 250 Bridge St., Struthers, will sell potato, cabbage and lekvar pirogi. Orders will be taken from 1 to 3:30 p.m. Thursday and from 8 :30 to 11 a.m. Friday at (330) 755-0064. No walk-in orders will be accepted. Orders may be picked up until 3:30 p.m. Friday. Containers will be provided. The next sale will be Jan. 9.
• Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church will serve fish dinners from 3:30 to 7 p.m. at the church hall, 53 Laird Ave., Youngstown. The menu will consist of baked or fried Icelandic cod or fried haddock; sides of Spanish rice, haluski, macaroni and cheese, french fries or string beans (choose two); coleslaw or applesauce; bread and butter; and coffee or tea. The cost is $9 for adults and $4.50 for children. Dessert will be an additional $1.50. Containers will be provided for takeouts. Orders will be accepted from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at (330) 792-1005. There will be no sale on Dec. 26.
• Holy Trinity Ukrainian Catholic Church Hall, 526 W. Rayen Ave., Youngstown, will be selling pirogi. The cost for potato or potato with kraut pirogi is $5 a dozen. Advance orders only will be taken from 8:30 to 11 a.m. Thursday and Friday at (330) 746-9528. Orders should be placed early and are to be picked up between 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Friday. This is the final sale before the holiday; sales resume Jan. 9.
• Potato and cheese pirogi will be sold at St. Anne Ukrainian Catholic Church, 4310 Kirk Road, Austintown. To order, call (330) 799-0084 after 6 p.m. Thursday or after 8 a.m. Friday. Pickup will be from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday. Cost is $5 per bag of one dozen (no containers necessary). Walk-ins are welcome, but no sales before 11 a.m. Patrons are asked to use the side entrance. This is the final sale before the holidays. Sales will resume Jan. 9.
• St. Anthony Church, 1125 Turin Ave., Youngstown, will be selling pizza and other Italian treats. Orders may be placed by calling (330) 746-9577 from 6:30 to 10:30 a.m. and must be picked up by 1 p.m. Friday. There will be no on sale Dec. 26.
• St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 159 Reed Ave., Campbell, will be selling homemade haluski. Orders will be taken from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. through Thursday, and pickup will be from 10 a.m. to noon Friday in the church hall. The cost is $4 a quart. Call (330) 755-0036 or (330) 755-4141.
• Potato, prune and kraut pirogi will be sold at St. Joseph the Provider Church, 633 Porter Ave., Campbell. Cost is $4.50 a dozen. Phone orders may be made beginning at 8 a.m. at (330) 755-1316, and orders can be picked up beginning at noon. Patrons are asked to provide their own containers. No walk-in orders will be available. This is the final sale before the holidays; sales will resume Jan. 9.
• St. Paul the Apostle Church, Main Street, New Middletown, will sell potato, sweet cabbage and cottage cheese pirogi. Orders can be called to (330) 542-3525 from 7 to 11 a.m. Thursday and Friday. No walk-in orders will be accepted. Pickup will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. This is the last sale before Christmas. Sales will resume Jan. 9.
• St. Stanislaus Church, 430 Williamson Ave., Youngstown, will sell potato, kraut and cottage cheese pirogi for takeout only. Advance orders will be taken at (330) 747-3024 from 8:30 to 11 a.m. Thursday and 8 to 11 Friday, based upon availability. Pickup will be until 2 p.m. Patrons are asked to provide their own containers and use the side entrance. This is the last day for sales before the holidays. Sales will resume on Jan. 9. For more information visit www.ststansyoungstown.org.
• Deerfield American Legion, 1517 state Route 14, one-fourth mile from the circle in Deerfield, will serve breakfasts of pancakes, sausage, eggs, sausage gravy over biscuits and a beverage from 8 a.m. to noon. The cost is $5 for adults and $3 for children 3 to 10. Proceeds will benefit the scholarship fund.
• Capt. Charles M. Marino Post 3, Italian-American War Veterans, 113 S. Meridian Road, Youngstown, will serve spaghetti dinners from noon to 5 p.m. The cost is $6 for adults and $3.50 for children 6 to 10. Those 5 and under may eat for free. Carryouts also will be available; containers can be purchased, or patrons may provide their own.
• Fowler Volunteer Fire Department will hold its monthly pancake, sausage and egg breakfast from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the fire station, state Route 193. Prices are $6 for adults, $4 for senior citizens and children 6 to 12 and free for preschoolers.
• Kinsman Presbyterian Church, 6383 Church St., will serve roast beef dinners from noon until 2 p.m. Tickets are $7 for adults and $4 for children 12 and under. The Men’s Organization is sponsoring the event as a benefit for the local food pantry. For more information, call (330) 876-4485.
• St. John Lutheran Church, 1419 Mahoning Ave., adjacent to Fellows Riverside Gardens in Mill Creek Park, will serve a Christmas buffet at noon in the Colonial Room. The menu consists of honey-baked ham, green beans, scalloped potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, coleslaw, bread and butter, dessert and beverage. Cost is $10.
• VFW Triangle Post 2799 Auxiliary, 3161 E. South Range Road, New Springfield, will serve a breakfast with Santa from 8 a.m. to noon. The menu consists of eggs, sausage or ham, hash browns, pancakes, freedom toast, toast, and coffee or tea. Cost is $5 for adults and $3 for children under 12.
• Our Lady of Hungary Church, 545 N. Belle Vista Ave., is taking orders until Tuesday for homemade Hungarian New Year soup at $5 a quart. Pickup will be from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Dec. 28 at Mindszenty Hall. To order, call (330) 799-6829.
• St. Rose Mount Carmel Society in Girard is taking orders for pizzelles at $4 for a baker’s dozen in vanilla or anise flavor. Pickup will be Sunday after all masses. To place an order or for more information, call (330) 545-9594.
• A listing of food sales and dinners is published Wednesday. Please submit information for takeout and sit-down dinners to the Society Department before 5 p.m. Monday.