Vindicator Logo

Man suffers burns

Wednesday, October 24, 2001

Man suffers burns
NEW CASTLE, Pa. -- A Mercer man is in critical condition at Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh after suffering burns on about 50 percent of his body.
Police said Mark Thomas Phipps, 36, of Lessburg Station Road was traveling north on Industrial Street at 7 p.m. Monday when his truck left the road and crashed into a tree. Police said the vehicle burst into flames.
Charles Habib of New Castle saw the flames from about 300 feet away and pulled Phipps from the truck, they said. Police say they don't know why Phipps' vehicle left the road.
Housing project to start
NEW CASTLE, Pa. -- A cooperative housing program for mentally ill homeless people was announced today in the city.
The New Castle Human Services Center is renovating 301 Highland Ave., which will include six cooperative units that will house homeless people and allow them to acquire equity, said Roger Smith of HSC.
A $300,000 loan through First National Bank and the Affordable Home Loan Program will pay for the renovations. Smith noted this is the first program of its kind in Pennsylvania, and it is modeled after one in Maine.
Railroad to be repaired
NEW CASTLE, Pa. -- The Norfolk Southern Railroad will begin repairs on two crossings in southern Lawrence County beginning Nov. 2, said state Rep. Frank LaGrotta of Ellwood City, D-10th.
LaGrotta and state Rep. Chris Sainato of New Castle, D-9th submitted complaints to the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission on Sept. 6 on behalf of New Beaver Borough and Little Beaver Township, calling for immediate repairs.
New Beaver officials say there are holes in the tracks and the roadbeds are uneven near the tracks on Haggerty Road. In Little Beaver, a railroad crossing at Haggerty and Scott Wallace roads has been closed for the last three months, officials said.
Officials investigate fire
BESSEMER, Pa. -- Fire investigators are looking into the cause of a blaze at Essroc Materials on East Poland Avenue. Bessemer Fire Chief James Nelson said the fire does not appear to be suspicious, but they do not know the cause.
The blaze started at about 7 p.m. Tuesday in an office located inside the cement production warehouse, he said. No one was working at the time and there were no injuries, Nelson said. The office was destroyed and the rest of the building had smoke damage, the chief said.
The plant was expected to open to normal production this morning, he said.
Concert to help victims
MERCER, Pa. -- Mercer Free Methodist Church will sponsor a Make A Difference Day Concert at 6 p.m. Saturday at 519 Grant St. The concert, provided by musician Chuck Thorpe and members of the Mercer County Jamboree, will benefit residents of Alternatives for Women: Advocacy, Resources and Education's shelter for the victims of domestic violence.
Those attending the concert are asked to bring nonperishable food items for the AWARE shelter and, after the program, they will be invited to participate in the inventory and packing of all of the items collected.
Those planning to help with that task are asked to bring a snack and a beverage to share with others.
The goal is to attract enough participants to make this "a Mercer community event," said Gail Habbyshaw, project coordinator.
Bridge to be closed
GREENVILLE, Pa. -- Williamson Road will be closed to traffic between state Route 18 and Werner Road for bridge repairs Monday through Friday next week. Local traffic only will be permitted.
Westbound traffic should detour south on Route 18, east on Main Street and north on Werner Road to Williamson Road. Eastbound traffic should reverse that detour.
Teen with gun arrested
POLAND -- Township police arrested an 18-year-old township man on a charge of underage purchase of a firearm after responding to his Highland Avenue residence on a domestic dispute call, police reports show.
The teen's father had called police at about 5 p.m. Sunday after he discovered his son sleeping in his bed with a .38-caliber handgun by his side. The father said he took the gun and called police after the two had an argument and the father had asked the son to leave.
The teen told police he purchased the gun from a friend for $250 to protect himself.